Saturday, January 2, 2010

Making the Translator Visible


Recently I came across a petite but interesting publishing house. It's called the Open Letter (based in University of Rochester), which specializes merely in translated works. Its history started only in 2007, but nevertheless the publishing house has already gathered some attention around itself.

The Open Letter also runs a literary magazine entitled Three Percent (more info about literary mag and publishing house itself may be found in the article "Small Publisher Finds Its Mission in Translation", which came up in New York Times several days ago) - nice design, easy navigation, insighful in its content.

The magazine has a grandiose in its mission section, which can rarely be encountered nowadays: Making the Translator Visible . As usual, there is a brief introduction about the translator, followed by the same and constant questions: the favorite word in any language, best tranlsation ever done to date, most difficult translation done, and what books need to be translated into English.

8 comments:

  1. В першому пості серії автор гарно написав про перекладачів: "Translators tend to be pretty humble people and not very good at self-promotion." Самореклама - це, звичайно, не найголовніше, але рація в цьому є. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. Traductor en Kissimmee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Fachübersetzer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! https://www.profischnell.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information. Olansi luftreiniger

    ReplyDelete
  6. The material and aggregation is excellent and telltale as comfortably. 香港交友平台

    ReplyDelete
  7. With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money, 香港約會

    ReplyDelete