Wednesday, January 13, 2010

J. D. Salinger vs Олекса Логвиненко




If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my farther. They're nice and all - I'm not saying that - but they're also also touchy as hell. Besides, I'm not going to tell you my whole goddam autobiography or anything. I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy.



*



Якщо ви справді надумали читати цю історію, то насамперед вам, мабуть, захочеться довідатися, де я зв'язився на світ божий, як минало моє безголове дитинство, що робили мої батько й мати, поки мене ще і в проекті не було, - одне слово, всю оту муру в дусі Девіда Копперфілда. Та як хочете знати правду, я не маю охоти закопуватись у той мотлох. По-перше все це мені остогидло, як гірка редька, а по-друге, і батька, й матір моїх по двічі би вхопив би грець кожного, якби я почав роздзвонювати про їхні домашні справи. Вони в мене щодо цього вразливі - не приведи господи, надто старий. Загалом вони добрі, що й казати, тільки ж вразливі - страх. Та я й не збираюсь описувати тут усю свою триклятущу біографію. Я тільки розповім оту ідіотську історію, що сталася зі мною на різдво - ще до того, як я мало не врізав дуба і мене притарабанили сюди, щоб я трохи оклигав.

*


It's the beginning of well-known J. D. Salinger's novel The Catcher in the Rye, firstly published in 1951. Below the original, I have posted the Ukrainian translation of the beginning. The translation was masterly completed by Oleksa Lohvynenko and was published under the title Nad prirvoyu u zhyti (Kyiv: Molod, 1984).

No comments:

Post a Comment